Grancy Greybeard

I know this tree is popular in the South, but I've recently moved to the McMinnville area and am wanting one! The Zone is 7b-9a so why wouldn't it grow well here? Thanks so much for your response! Jan Moore

Yamhill County Oregon trees and shrubs

I had to look up grancy greybeard, I had never heard of that common name before, here it is referred to as fringe tree (Chionanthus virginicus). Yes, that tree does grow here, I used to have one in fact! They are beautiful in bloom.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert!

Thanks for the Speedy response Heather! I've recently moved from the Atlanta area and was a Master Gardener there. I grew up in Dallas however and I'm very much looking forward to gardening here! Seems weird that the zones are the same but the climates are so different. I'm sure I'll have more questions!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy living in Oregon, it is a great place to garden. Feel free to send more questions via Ask an Expert or drop by the Extension office, our Master Gardeners would be happy to assist.