Will creeping thyme grow under a black walnut tree?

Hello! I have several black walnuts along the side of my house. Right now, there's a jungle of myrtle and Virginia creeper growing there. The space is unusable and overgrown. I'd like a very low, mat-like ground cover that will tolerate foot traffic and my kid playing on it. Creeping thyme is perfect, from what I gather, but there's no mention anywhere whether it will survive the juglone. I live in Southeastern Michigan. Zone 4. Thank you! Kirsten

Washtenaw County Michigan landscape design

I'm attaching an article from Pennsylvania State Extension of plants that are known to be tolerant of juglone and survive under Black Walnut Trees. Unfortunately, I can find no information on whether thyme is tolerant and can only guess that no one has actually studied this. There is nothing to stop you from trying it. Plant it, give it the proper care and perhaps it will work out just fine. However, thyme requires plenty of sunlight to grow and it sounds like it is shady under the walnuts in your yard.
https://extension.psu.edu/landscaping-and-gardening-around-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants