Canning crunchy pickled peppers

Is it safe to can pickled peppers without the water bath? Last year, I canned pickled pepperoncinis and sweet cheery peppers in a 15 minute water bath, and they turned out very mushy. In some, I added garlic, onions and carrots. I was very concerned about the safety of these vegetables, not knowing the pH balance. I referred to many recipes, each of which gave different ratios of water to vinegar, and different types of vinegar. Please advise me on the best and healthiest method(s) to can pickled peppers that maintain some texture. Thank you.

Lane County Oregon food safety home food preservation

I think you should contact our hotline experts to best address your concerns. The toll-free hotline (800-354-7319) is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m (July 15th - October 18th), Extension-certified Master Food Preserver volunteers from Lane and Douglas counties take the calls.

Oregon State University Extension Service offers this food preservation and safety hotline every year during the peak canning season. The hotline is available for queries on proper canning techniques, safe recipes to follow, and the locations for pressure canner gauge testing in your area.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert, and happy canning!