Red maple trees

Can you tell me what's going on with my trees? 2 different ones in the pictures, one is only leafing out on one side of the tree and the other very small leaves only at the top

Crow Wing County Minnesota disease maple trees

Both trees were planted too deeply and probably have trunk girdling roots that are stopping the follow of nutrients to the branches. Both trees have significant damage to their trunks. I suspect the one that has leafed out on one side is dead on the other side and the one with a few leaves at the top is dead. Gently poking an awl or ice pick into the hole on the sides of the trunks will tell you if the wood is rotten.

So I need to replace both of these? Is there a way to save them yet? They've both been in there for about 5 years

You can wait and see if they leaf out next year or have an arborist look at them to decide if you need or want to replace them. If you want to see if copious amounts of TLC will give them some more time. Remove the grass from under the trees in a circle 2-3 ft. In diameter and mulch the circle, water the trees every time the soil is dry to a depth of 2 inches or make sure they get about an inch of water per week from the hose or rain.