Something is eating my geraniums

I have a dozen beautiful, old geraniums on my porch (see photo 1, the most affected). Last week, they were all in brilliant, multi-flowered bloom. Today, several have leaves and buds that look like they are being eaten (see photos). I checked the plants carefully and can't find any critters. The one in the first photo has 10 dead buds. Last year, I had a tobacco worm on one plant (you identified it for me), but I don't see anything like that now. Any clues?

Baltimore County Maryland geranium flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials pest insects and mites geranium leaves being eaten

We can't identify the insect doing the damage from the photos. It appears to have left the scene. We'd recommend tidying up by removing damaged buds/flowers and then just keep an eye out.

Many caterpillars do minor feeding damage and then move on or pupate into a butterfly. You can consider this your contribution to, hopefully, a beautiful butterfly.

Ellen

A beautiful butterfly would be great. But would a caterpillar also damage the buds?
I’ll keep watch.
thanks

Depends on the species.

You are most welcome.

Ellen