Sick Locusts

Our 2 locust trees in our backyard are not doing well. While the new growth at the tips of the branches have leaves, the branch parts closer to the trunk did not leave out. Also, there are more dead branches than normal. What is the cause? Should we be concerned? Should we do something? I've attached a couple of pictures.

Oakland County Michigan honey locust dying branches

Many things can cause thinning and dieback. With two trees in the same area having a similar problem, it is likely to be a root zone issue. The soil may be compacted, the trees may have reached a size that roots are too restricted. Too much water (flooding) or too little water, cankers, boring insects are some other issues that need to be checked.

Yes, you should be concerned. I recommend hiring a certified arborist, a professional who has taken training in care, diseases, pests and passed certification tests. He/she will come on site and give a complete diagnosis and a plant care plan. They also know how to use the special tools to relieve soil compaction and help the root zones. Find certified arborists by zip code here—-

www.treesaregood.org

I’m sorry I can’t tell you more from pictures but, this does require an on site visit. The cost of an arborist visit is not expensive when compared to the cost of losing your beautiful trees. Thank you for using our service.