gophers vs poly water line

I have gophers chewing through my 1 1/4 poly water line. I have heard that a gopher can't or have a hard time chewing on something larger than 3 inches in diameter. Do you know if this is true? I was thinking of putting a 4 inch sleeve of smooth drain pipe around my poly supply line. Is this going to work? Do you have any other suggestions to stop the gophers from chew my water line? Thanks in advance for you help. Mark Wolf

Yamhill County Oregon wildlife damage management gophers horticulture

I have not found any info pro- or con- for the sleeve approach. If you're already planning to do a full-line retrofit, you might consider lining your trench and then filling with coarse gravel (1" or greater; 6-8" of gravel surrounding pipe such as recommended in the underground fence section here https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/documents/12281/managinggophers.pdf ). It is possible that the welded wire (1/2" or 1/4" mesh) hardware cloth we use to protect single stems and to bar gophers from raised beds could also be used as a pipe wrap, but I have no efficacy data for that approach.