Making corned beef

I'm brining corned beef. I've got two cuts (point and flat) in two separate containers. The 4.5 lb point is barely submerged (it's weighted down). Do I need to add more brine? Also, does it need to stay in the brine longer than 5-7 days or is that enough time to cure? Do I need to turn both of them daily or can they just stay submerged once I (hopefully) add more brine?

Multnomah County Oregon food safety home food preservation beef

Thanks for the question.

It is best to keep the meat fully submerged throughout the brining process. You could either add more brine or you could displace some of the brine with something solid to raise the brine level in the container. It is a good idea to turn the meat daily and stir the brine solution.

Curing time will depend on salt/curing salt concentration, thickness of meat, and temperature. 5-7 days is likely sufficient. The easiest way to determine if the meat is sufficiently cured is to weigh it. The finished corned beef should have lost 35-50% of its weight. (Your 4.5 lb piece should weigh less 3 lbs or less when it is finished.)

I hope this helps and I hope your corned beef is delicious!