Vine invasion

Is it safe to leave these native grape vines growing on my house? I came back from vacation to find that they have climbed the siding. Will they damage the siding or bring insects underneath? I think the arbor effect looks pretty. Please ignore the non-native wisteria in the photo. I’ve been ripping that out for years and it keeps returning. Although I’d love to get rid of it faster, I don’t want to use chemicals. Thanks.

Howard County Maryland vines plant care wild grape vine grape vine as ornamental grape vine growing up house

The vine will not cause insect issues particularly, but it will grow in the cracks of siding and window trim, and possibly even get into the house. We would not recommend that you encourage it.

Try not to let the wisteria leaves survive for any length of time before you cut them off. They are replenishing the root reserves.
You can try smashing the stem with a hammer or something similar, instead of making a clean pruning cut. Smashing makes it harder for the vine to regrow.

Ellen

Thanks!
Ann