Planting in the fall?

I am greatly enjoying replacing lawn with native plants, However I have my planting on hold during the summer heat. Can I plant natives in the fall? Late September or October? Am hoping I do not have to wait until next spring to do more! Thanks in advance.

Talbot County Maryland natives plant care timing of planting natives fall planting of natives

Fall is generally a fine time to plant perennials and shrubs. Evergreen generally do better planted in spring. Tree species differ.

The earlier in fall you plant, the more time the plant will have to get established before winter. In a mild winter that may not be critical, but sometimes it is.
Also, be aware of rainfall. We often have a fall drought, and plants should never go into winter with dry soil.

All plants should have supplemental watering for the first two years after planting during dry spells.

Ellen