Tiny orange spiders

These tiny spiders have invaded my patio and sting. When i squish them they leave a smear of bright orange on my skin. What are they and how do I control them?

Lane County Oregon insect identification spider identification

Not spiders, probably, chiggers, a mite. The Trombiculidae family of mites, also known as chiggers, are tiny orange bugs that bite humans and animals. They perch in tall grass or other vegetation and jump onto their host, then bite and inject an enzyme that digests the victim's skin cells. This often causes intense discomfort.

There are chiggers in Oregon, but not commonly up like that. I could find no mention of a color when squashed. Your best bet is to put some in a vial and take to the Lane Extension office at 996 10th in Eugene where they have microscopes etc. The picture would not enlarge clearly enough to see the details which would be a good ID possible, so this is a guess.