Tadpoles Gone

Hello!
I just recently got some tadpoles from a small well in my backyard. I obtained roughly 20 tadpoles. I placed them all in a 5 gallon tank. I had the lights off, watching a movie (which I understand tadpoles are less active in the dark) and I looked back in the tank with a flashlight and found 1 swimming and 1 laying on the rocks resting, the rest nowhere to be found. Are the rest of them hiding under the rocks perhaps sleeping or did they potentially eat each other? I'm worried, could you help me?
Edit: Found out it was my filter. My filter was great for the tank, but too large of an opening for my tadpoles to get sucked up inside. Great for Bettas, not for small creatures such as fry or tadpoles.

Montgomery County Texas

Thank you for your question. I was going to ask if you, by any chance, had a filter attached to your aquarium. You should be able to find an attachment for your intake that will still pull in the water, but prevent the tadpoles from being pulled into the filter.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim