A Weed My Wife Loves

I want to chop this weed down, but my wife won’t let me. Please give me the evidence I need to chop away. Thanks.

Baltimore County Maryland invasive empress tree paulownia tomentosa tree

This Paulownia tomentosa or Princess tree, which is a classified as a foreign invasive tree in Maryland (and the U.S.) Non-native invasive trees should be removed because they damage the environment and out-compete or kill native plants that native wildlife needs to survive.

It was once planted purposefully here because it was thought it would be a good money-making lumber. However, it grows so quickly here that the wood is weak and useless.

Here's more about it: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/paulownia-empress-or-princess-tree

Ellen

Ellen,
Thanks very much for your quick response. Greatly Appreciated! I'll start chopping this weekend.
Paul

You are welcome.
They are very weak wooded so it will not be hard to remove. You may want to treat the cut with an herbicide containing the active ingredient glyphosate or triclopyr (can just paint it on with a sponge brush just after) so that it doesn't come back.

Christine

Christine,
Thanks for the info. Dug it up, roots & all last night. Letting it dry in the sunlight on my driveway this week, before I dispose of it.
Thanks Again,

Paul