The science behind canning

Many of the recipes for canning I've seen look awful. I was wondering if anyone could teach me the science behind canning,so I know how to test for the pH levels of foods,know whether or not red wine vinegar is a good idea and exactly how much salt I should use. I would like to can things like my marinara and other things,but I want them to taste good too. Please help

Cuyahoga County Ohio home food preservation

Thank you for your question. We’re going to refer you to your own county Extension (the ‘other OSU’) for an answer. Here is their webpage: https://cuyahoga.osu.edu/home Good luck!

Can anyone here help with what I've asked? It is that why I was redirected? I really don't want to have to go through another website

It is a weekend. All Extension offices are closed. All experts qualified to answer are employed staff personnel, who do not work or answer questions on weekends. I am a Master Gardener volunteer, not trained in home food preparation, safety or preservation. You can pose another Ask an Expert question on your topic, and direct it to the Ohio State Extension service. Whomever is assigned the question may be qualified to answer. The website I gave you has phone numbers for your local office, but I suspect they, too, are closed. Unfortunately, this is not a 24/7 service, and weekends are not staffed. I’ve done the best I can.