Apple tree

I planted an apple tree last fall that I purchased from Home Depot. I usually go for the nursery plants only, but this tree was at such a great price I couldn’t pass it up. I planted an apple and a pear at the same time. Both did wonderfully through the fall and into the spring. My apple tree has developed holes in the leaves and I’m afraid I’ll lose it. Is this a fungus? My pear does not seem affected.

Anne Arundel County Maryland

Whatever was making holes in your apple tree leaves is no long there. We don't know what it was and you can't take any action at this point anyway.

However, we notice that the lower branches on the tree seem to be stripped of leaves. This looks like deer browsing damage. We suggest that you fence your tree to keep deer from killing it. When not eating leaves and twigs, they will also rub against the bark of the trunk during rutting season and destroy bark, killing the tree.

For more about deer, use our website search box.

Ellen