What type of fungus is this on the rock

Asked July 4, 2019, 10:56 AM EDT

How to get rid of it and what type it is. It appeared with in 24-72 hours and is melting from underneath.

Erie County New York fungus slime mold

1 Response

This is likely a slime mold. It is using the rock as a support, but is not pathogenic to any plants nearby or to you. It is feeding off the dead plant material at the base of the rock. To get rid of it, simply scrape it off with a spade and throw it away; you can spray the rest of it away with a strong stream of water from a hose if you want. However, the part that is "melting" is the part that is producing spores actively, so you should know that it may reappear in the future. If it does, just scrape it away again. Here is a little more information about slime molds: http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/slimemolds.pdf