Hi there! I have common milkweed growing in my asparagus bed. I know it grows...

Hi there! I have common milkweed growing in my asparagus bed. I know it grows by rhizomes and if you leave any small part of the rhizome, the milkweed will regrow. Is it even possible to get it out of the bed without damaging the asparagus? Of course, it can run rampant.....elsewhere. Thanks. Tia

El Paso County Colorado fruits and vegetables

Hello Tia
Milkweed in your asparagus bed sounds like a pretty challenging problem. You are correct that these plants spread by rhizome, they also reseed. The rhizomes are deep so it is unlikely that you successfully dig them up without destroying your asparagus bed. I think if you really want to remove this from you bed you are going to have to use an herbicide. The following link will give you some control options https://extension.wsu.edu/whitman/2013/11/common-milkweed/. Whatever you decide to do you should consider putting some space between the milkweed you allow to run wild , and cultivated areas as they do also reseed. If you would like some additional information please feel free to reopen this question.