Canning simple syrup

Hello, I have lavender that I am making a simple syrup with. 2c water, 1c sugar and 1c lavender buds. I have added 4 blueberries to the mix but that is for coloring. Is there a way to make this safe to can and be shelf stable? Thank you, Caron

Columbia County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Hello and thank you for submitting your question to Ask an Expert - a FREE service of Oregon State University Extension.

I have consulted with some of my colleagues about this question. Unfortunately there are no recipes for home canned simple syrup from the research based resources we typically utilize. There is some concern that the pH of this recipe may not be acidic enough to can safely. So we have forwarded this question on to our food safety specialist. In the mean time, if you make your simple syrup please keep it in the refrigerator. I'll get back to you with more information when I have it. If you wanted to make a berry or other fruit-based syrup there are instructions on how to do that on our food preservation resource page here:
https://extension.oregonstate.edu/mfp/publications