Hostas damaged by hail

Like many from last weeks hail storm, we had some plant damage. Our hosta got hit the hardest. I have included a picture. My question: is it best to leave them be or cut off the damaged leaves or something else? I wonder if the plants are using a lot of their energy trying to repair themselves, thus removing the damaged leaves best I can. Thank you! Vicky

Deschutes County Oregon hostas

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, leaves do not repair themselves as does bark, so removing them is a decision you need to make, based on aesthetic considerations. If the plant is in an area that is ‘valuable’ for landscape reasons, you need to weigh the looks of a plant with holes versus a plant with very few leaves. It’s early enough in the summer that you’ll probably get more to fill in the spaces. These are really resilient plants, so you’ll probably have nothing residual next year. Good luck!