Apple tree has rust

I have a 2-year-old apple tree that I planted last fall (Oct 2018). About 4-6 weeks ago I noticed the first yellow/orange spots on the leaves. They keep getting worse. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them, or to slow them down? What would you recommend? Thanks! -

Montgomery County Maryland fruit rust apple

The symptoms are consistent with a rust disease (cedar-apple rust, hawthorn rust, and quince rust all affect apple).

You will see these symptoms each year unless the nearby Eastern red cedar trees, that are acting as the alternate host for the disease, are removed. (Spores can travel a half mile). Spraying with a chemical fungicide staring early in spring will reduce the problem next year. The best material available to homeowners is a fungicide called Immunox (not Immunox Plus).

Symptoms appear on leaves 10-14 days after infection and 2-4 weeks on fruits. So it would be a good idea to begin a fungicide spray program next season to prevent fruit infections and other summer fruit diseases.

Read more about it on our web page:
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/plants/diseases-apples-and-pears
Please follow the spray recommendations in the
VA Tech Pest Management Guide

Marian