Asked June 28, 2019, 11:06 AM EDT

I have powdery substance of hemlocks. What should I do? Attached is photo of a branch

Washington County Maryland

1 Response

This is a scale, a type of insect that covers itself when mature with a "shell" for protection. Here is our webpage explaining types of scale on hemlocks and control: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/scale-insects-hemlock

(Though the photo on the webpage does not look powdery, look at other images online and you will see that can .)