need to spray apples again?

I used Bonide spray once while the tree was dormant (early March) and again in May when petals dropped. It rained about two days after the second spraying. Now I see small dark "clumps" that look sort of mealy on a few of the apples. I suspect some sort of worm in the fruit. Should I spray again? With what? Or should I get an insect trap to see if the insects are still here? If I do spray do I put it on the branches and try to avoid the apples? I haven't had this problem before. Thanks

Yamhill County Oregon insect issues apples pesticides

Too late to prevent the primary infestation of codling moth in the apples and a bit early to catch the next generation. Sprays need to be applied at flower petal drop. Still time to thin apples and remove from the area any of those to reduce the problem. No apples should ever be left on the ground to perpetuate the next generation. If the areas are blotches on the skin, we are probably looking at apple scab which is usually mostly cosmetic, but when on very small apples can deform and stunt them. The sprays for apple scab are only preventative, not curative. They also will not harm the fruit. Avoid most sprays when the weather is above 80 degrees to prevent leaf burn. Keep the area around the trunk clear of vegetation for about 12" out minimum. Sanitation this year will help with next year's problems.

Thank you. I did spray when the blossoms dropped, but it may have rained a few days later. I will remove the apples that seem to have the coddling moth worms in them and clean up the ground. How do I "catch the next generation of coddling moth"? I have been using Bonide spray. Should I put up a trap? Hopefully not many apples are involved.

Bonide makes a number of sprays, so I do not know the active ingredients of what you used. Put up a codling moth trap and monitor it for catches. Look for a picture of the male codling moth to be sure of your ID. Only males come to the traps. If you wrap corrugated cardboard around the trunk of the trees, as the pest mature, they will climb down the trunk to pupate and hatch into the next generation of moths. By doing this each season you can reduce the numbers of the pest. If many in your area have apples, however, and do nothing, it will be an ongoing battle as they fly quite well. Good luck.