Too much rain for many months. My Dogwood did bloom Good this Spring, but it looked like it is dyii

Pink Dogwood Tree did bloom good this Spring, but now the leaves are yellow ad brittle. Some branches are bare. It is the end of June now and had many mo the if excess rain

Lackawanna County Pennsylvania trees and shrubs dogwoods

another agent wrote:

Dogwoods are susceptible to a few fungi. The pattern of the spots on the leaves can help diagnose which disease you might have.

For example, here is an excellent fact sheet:
http://extension.psu.edu/pests/plant-diseases/all-fact-sheets/dogwood-diseases

Thank you, Roxanne

The yellow spots on the bark are fairly small discolorations and I may not be able to get better images but here are the other pictures I thought I had sent showing the leaf withering. I have more pictures but, due to the limit of three, I've chosen some that fairly represent the condition. I'll try to get a better picture of the yellow spots and if successful will send it later. Thanks again for your help. I don't want to lose the tree but I don't want to rush and do the wrong thing trying to save it, if there is a condition that needs correction.

Img_0890_300x3002523
Img_0887_300x3002523
Img_0891_300x3002523

Roxanne M, Thanks again. I think the picture included here will show the yellow spots on the bark better.

Img_0893_300x3002523
Img_0894_300x3002523
Img_0895_300x3002523

Roxanne M, Thanks again. I think the pictures included here will show the yellow spots on the bark better.

Img_0893_300x3002523
Img_0894_300x3002523
Img_0895_300x3002523

From the images of the leaves, I think you may have leaf scorch.
This is common for dogwoods after a period of hot, dry weather.
The scorch is caused when evaporation from the leaves exceeds absorption by the roots. Dogwood typically prefer part sun rather than full sun.

From the images of the truck, I think you have lichen and moss.
It is not uncommon for trees to be covered with lichen and moss (the grayish-blue and greenish-yellow patches) on your bark. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/non-harmful-tree-conditions/

However, the sudden appearance of lichen and moss can signal stress, including overwatering.

But with a little TLC, your tree should recover nicely.
Typically established trees do not need to be watered after the first few years. But for the next 2 years during hot, dry weather, I recommend you water your tree with 2 gal of water per inch of truck diameter every other week. During a drought you can water once per week.

Overwatering can cause the soil to saturate, flooding and suffocating the roots and leading to root rot. So do not water unless it has been hot and dry for more than a week.

I recommend you also put a mulch around the tree base. A 3-4" layer is good, but no more than that. Also, keep the mulch 1" away from the trunk.

Thank you so very much, Roxanne. I feel very relieved. I've had leaf scorch in other years but it seemed more extreme this year. I'll nurse it back to its usual beauty. Regards, Jerome D. Bennett.

I truly think that the tree will recover nicely. But if you see additional symptoms or have any additional questions, please let us know.
All the best, Roxanne

Answered by
Avatar_placeholder_01 Roxanne M.
This question is grouped with

Osu_master_gardener_image_preview_thumb OSUEMGV

Ask an Expert is made up of groups and individual experts.