Canning Razor Clams

My husband has stocked up on cleaned, chopped and frozen razor clams. He is determined to can them but I’m only seeing reference to using fresh. Would canning these chopped clams hot pack method be ok?

Clatsop County Oregon food safety home food preservation

Great question!

This would be acceptable as long as you thaw and process the clams according to the directions using a valid preparation and processing method.

Clams should be thawed in the refrigerator and processed within 1-2 days. Rinse thawed clams in cold water before continuing the preparation and processing recommendations. Vinegar can be added to the cold water (2 Tbsp/quart) to help remove slime from clams. Minced clams should be boiled in an acidic solution (see reference) and hot packed (half-pints or pints only) prior to pressure canning. Here are the specific recommendations for pressure canning whole or minced clams from Oregon State University Extension:

https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/pnw194_0.pdf

Best of luck with the clams! Please let me know if you have additional questions.