I have a Acer X PSE North Wind tree planted two years ago. It looked great last summer but has not leafed out this spring. I cut a small branch that still looks alive on the inside. Is this a problem with the buds freezing in early spring? Should I simply take a wait and see approach or should the tree be replaced?
Stearns County Minnesota
I would scratch the main stem and if it's green, then I'd take the wait and approach tactic. It has been an interesting spring for trees and unusual issues. Waiting doesn't hurt and could save you $ instead of having to plant a new tree.