Found this in the grass

What kind of frog is this sorry the photo is blurry

Whitfield County Georgia

Thank you for your question. I apologize for the delay in responding to you, but I have been researching your question. As you say, the photographs are a little blurry, so I can't make out some distinguishing characteristics necessary to make a positive ID. This is a toad, not a frog. I believe it is the American Toad, scientific name (Anaxyrus americanus). You may also find it listed a Bufo americanus.

This species is one of the most widely distributed toads in North America. They live in a variety of habitats, including forests, meadows and pastures and suburban landscapes. They require areas with leaf litter, sandy or loamy soils for burrowing. They feed on a variety of insects and earthworms.

Here's a link to the University of Georgia's Savannah River Ecology Lab's website page for this species:

http://srelherp.uga.edu/anurans/bufame.htm

If you are interested in learning more about frogs and toads in your area, here are some excellent references:

Dorcas, M., & Gibbons, W. (2008). Frogs & Toads of the Southeast. Athens: University of Georgia Press.

Elliott, Matt J. et al. (2008). Amphibians and Reptiles of Georgia. Athens: University of Georgia Press.

I hope this answers your question and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim