Japanese Maple

I have had this Japanese maple for 10 years and it has done fine. Only a few leaves came out this spring. Now, there are a few more leaves coming out on other branches. It still does not look good. Will it survive? From the photos I sent with this question, I am wondering what the white circles are on the bark. The other question is what caused the bark to split like that? Thank you.

Ramsey County Minnesota japanese maples winter damage

The extreme cold that Minnesota experienced in late January has taken a toll on many plants. Evidence of this is widespread and many species have been affected including native plants that are considered reliably hardy here.

Unfortunately trees such as Japanese maples that are considered marginally hardy here are most likely to be affected.

We can't tell what's caused the white patches on the bark by viewing the photos. However, the following bulletins discuss two possibilities, neither of which is of any consequence so far as the tree's health is concerned.

The following bulletin explains what might have caused the bark to split.

Based upon what we can see in the photos, we think the tree is unlikely to recover.