I have iron & bacteria in my well. Help?

I have iron and bacteria in my well. How can I treat the bacteria without damaging my well filtration system. I have been told that putting bleach in the well will damage the filtration system. Also, how can I remove iron stains from toilets, tubs, and sinks?

Douglas County Oregon

Iron is in most of the wells in the Willamette valley and is very common.
Iron can be removed from wells; in the past by using chlorine to percipitate the iron out of the water and then filter out the big iron chunks, plus it killed any bacteria.

I am not aware that chlorine affects filters but you would need to call water treatment companies.

Iron can physically removed by using pumice stone, borate paste and/or lemon juice. Then scrub.

There should be no bacteria in the well, unless it is iron bacteria. Two other bacteria, e. coli and colorform are health issues. If the screen to the well is missing critters fall into the well and there will e coli or coloform. Correction is called super chlorining.

E. coli and coloform can also come from failing septic systems. The septic should be 150 foot away from wells. A failing septic tank will show up in wells. Septics should be pumped every 3-5 years.

A reverse osmosis will usually take care of bacteria and iron.