Star jasmine is dead

Third plant I buried and saw your answer but I’m not up late at night save to find snails and slugs that eat so much in my garden after dark, isn’t there another way to save my jasmine from becoming a skeleton? I love these plants and see these specks eating them in the day, spray yet living by a forest now so much I had a jasmine for years at another address so I’m not sure if it’s this location or something brought home from Home Depot?is eaten up

Multnomah County Oregon

Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) grows well in our area, but it requires well drained soil which you can test by watering thoroughly and watching to see how quickly the water disappears into the soil. It also likes full sun or dappled shade, though it is susceptible to sun scorch in hot dry weather. Spring is the best time to prune it to shape it and to control the growth. It is susceptible to fungal root rot, and to these insects: spider mites (very tiny bugs that leave leaves with tiny holes all over), white fly (tiny white flies who feed on plant sap and live on the undersides of plant leaves), scale (small slow moving insects with tough outer coverings), and mealy bugs (small flattened insects that feed on the underside of leaves, especially new growth). This article gives more information on star jasmine, Star Jasmine http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a155.

Since you mention moving specks eating the leaves, you probably have an insect problem. To control these pests it's important to identify them. The best way is to bring a few leaves to your

Multnomah County Master Gardener Office (2701 NW Vaughn Street, Suite 450 [4th floor Montgomery Building]; Portland OR 97210;mcmastergardeners@yahoo.com; 503-445-4608; open M-F 10am-2pm). They can examine the insects under magnification, give you an identification and suggest the best controls for them.