Madrone firewood pest

Some type of insect has infested my madrone firewood. My firewood has holes all through it and the wood interior pretty much destroyed. What insect is causing this and what can i do to prevent this from happening? Is the insect causing this in the wood to begin with or does it infest the wood after I've cut it into firewood.

Jackson County Oregon forestry insect issues firewood

Madrone wood is often colonized by wood boring beetles as soon as the tree dies. Some stories have been told of the beetles showing up while wood was still be chain-sawed!

In addition, the adults may emerge from firewood in a house. The most likely wood boring beetle is the western ash borer. See our publication on madrone pests:https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/ec1619.pdf (figure 12 on page 4)

As far as we know, these beetles do not pose a threat to live trees or to houses, or wood in houses. They like relatively fresh dead madrone to lay eggs on. The key prevention is likely drying the wood quickly. Although this is not a guarantee.

But we don't think this beetles are pests really

I hope this is helpful.