aspen tree help

I have this aspen for 4 years and the last 2 it is getting these black and brown leaves. I have attached a few pics. I have not sprayed anything especially because a robin just made a nest with babies a couple weeks ago. i reside in spokane, wa. Thank you the help.

Spokane County Washington diagnosis of plant problems aspen trees aspen disease

Hello and thank you for contacting us.

We can't be sure without seeing a sample of the problem to put under the microscope, however aspen trees do commonly get some leaf diseases.

In these photographs, it looks like the tree might have Marssonina leaf spot, a fungal disease that causes brown and black spots on leaves that grow, sometimes killing the leaf or leaves. In severe cases, small twigs can be killed by this disease. I've copied a link to more information about this disease and some options for managing it: http://hortsense.cahnrs.wsu.edu/Search/MainMenuWithFactSheet.aspx?CategoryId=1&SubCatId=5&Pl...

You can prune out the worst affected areas to help the tree recover. There is an option to spray the tree with fungicide when the leaves come out in the spring, but once the leaves are infected, it doesn't help to spray. (So protect the robins, and don't waste your money by spraying now.)

We advise getting rid of the leaves when they fall, so if you are a home composter, leave these leaves out of the pile.

If you want to bring in a sample for more examination, we are at 222 North Havana St. Just south of the baseball stadium at the Spokane Fairgrounds. Our clinic is open 9-3 Mon-Thursday; 9-1pm on Friday, and from April -September, 9-noon on Saturday. You can also call us directly at 509-477-2181.

Thank you for contacting us, and best of luck with your tree.