popovers at 7000 feet

I recently recovered some of my fathers old glass Pyrex popover cups. When the batter was beaten vigorously for 20 minutes (in the late 1940s) to give it lots of air, my dad's popovers had tops that were a little larger than baseballs ... what would be the best batter to make for these old cups at 7000 feet ... and do I need to whip the batter into a froth to get such a large top? To date with non-stick metal cups I have had little success. I am hopeful that you can help me restore my dad's popover success ... these old cups are curved so that the sides become vertical and my dad used to line the cups with Crisco ... I am most hopeful that you can help me

Santa Fe County New Mexico high altitude food preparation

Baking at 7,000 feet is a challenge. I often use the cookbook Pie in the Sky by Susan Purdy. I am attaching the popover recipe from her book. She recommends that the highest rise and best texture came with cast iron or hot steel. The quicker the heat turns the liquid in the batter to steam, the faster and higher the puff. Adding an egg and cutting out a little butter will give the batter more strength and better rise. Make sure to preheat the oven for at least 15 minutes so it is good and hot.