Snake under siding

A milk snake slithered up our foundation wall and went under the siding. How can I get it out?

Oswego County New York

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there's no practical way to remove the snake from under your siding. The small body diameter and flexibility of juvenile snakes allows them to gain access to very small spaces. Now that your snake is under the siding, it can travel around the outside of your home through spaces under the siding. You could try removing siding in the area where you saw the snake enter, but there's no guarantee that it's still there. It may have crawled to another area by now. You might end up removing quite a bit of siding before you find it, if you find it.

Assuming it doesn't find any suitable prey items, it will most likely find a way back out, if it hasn't already.

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

Thanks Jim. If I’ve seen one snake in the area is it a case if there must be more? I’m really not nuts about them.

Not necessarily. Juvenile snakes usually stay in the general area where they hatch, for a few days, but then disperse to go their own way.

Jim