Rose Disease

My tree expert has informed me that our old climbiing "Rambling rector" that climbs up the side of the house has scale and Rose Rosette. We are going to be taking it out. Can I plant a new rose bush in that same area? Can I treat the soil with anything? I have roses in a garden nearby but not in the same bed. Are they at risk? Would appreciate your counsel. thanks

Howard County Maryland disease issues shrubs roses rose rosette

Rose rosette is a virus carried by a tiny mite. It is not in the soil. Yes, you can replant that spot with a rose. However, to minimize the number of disease-carrying mites still around that might infect the new rose, try to prevent them from falling off when you cut down the rose. (All roses are susceptible to rose rosette.)
One way to do this with a rose bush is to place the shrub in a plastic garbage bag, tighten the neck, and then cut the trunk. Modify this for a climber the best you can.

Also, remove any "wild" roses, i.e. rosa multiflora roses, in the area, which are hosts to tons of infected mites. They are also non-native invasives--so it's a win-win when you remove them.

Here's our rose rosette page for more tips: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/rose-rosette-shrub

Ellen

Just one more clarification : do I need to dig up the entire root system or just whats above ground. It's a 20 year old climbing rose and has an extensive root system. Thanks so much

It is not necessary to remove the entire root system but dig out as much as you can.

Deb