Hi, In my raised bed garden (Year #3! Woohoo!!) I have two healthy plants one...

Hi, In my raised bed garden (Year #3! Woohoo!!) I have two healthy plants one yellow squash, one zucchini, and last year they got attacked by squash borers that got into the ‘trunk’ of the plants, where the dirt touches the plant. I’m trying to prevent that this year, but I don’t remember what the remedies are. I have crushed some eggshells and sprinkled that around the base of the plant. I heard that it deters slugs and maybe the squash borers — but I certainly would appreciate your input (soon?)

Montgomery County Maryland

We have extensive information on all the common vegetable garden pests on our website. Here is the page for squash vine borer, which answers your question: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/squash-vine-borer-vegetables

Use our website search box to find more pests, plus general vegetable garden info, raised bed, and all the different crops.

Ellen

Ellen, THANK YOU. This was a great help (and reminder).

Last year I planted yellow sq + zucchini near eachother in same raised bed, and while zucchini seemed to get hardest hit, squash got some too.

SO THIS YEAR — I have them separated into two beds. And am checking them each morning. I do recall the aluminum foil was helpful last year. Just tough to see the leaves of the zucchini already getting chowed down and it's JUST begun to flower. I'll read again to see if I can spray/sprinkle anything on the leaves (soapy water, pepper flakes, etc no chemicals). Ah, nature....

Thanks again.