Black Mission Fig Tree in Denver

I just purchased a Black Mission Fig Tree at O'Toole's in Littleton and one of the guys there told me that they've been working to make the black mission fig more cold hardy and that I can actually plant it in the ground here in Littleton. Do you know if this is true? And if so, are there any planting tips I should be aware of?

Denver County Colorado fig trees

Fig trees (Ficus carica) are cold hardy only to zone 6 so that is just outside our zone 5 region. However, if you can provide your fig tree with a suitable microclimate, it may work for you; it would be fun to try. I know that Denver Botanic Gardens has a couple of fig cultivars planted outside on the grounds - whether they live long enough to produce a crop, I can't say. Denver's weather tends to be erratic, going from warm to frigid and back again, and plants don't like that. I've seen borderline plants grow well for years only to be wiped out by a sudden cold snap. It's just impossible to predict.

Here's some tips on growing you Fig: https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruit/Figs/figs.html