I don't understand the instructions: "non-yard/garden". My question...

I don't understand the instructions: "non-yard/garden". My question is about gardening. Our hosta are suffering from anthracnose. I have drenched and sprayed and removed diseased leaves as internet research recommends, but we still find ourselves digging out prized plants. What works? Some of our blues and 'Frances Williams' appear to be the worst hit.

Summit County Ohio

Anthracnose is a fungal leaf disease of hosta that thrives in warm, wet weather. This is not the same fungus that causes anthracnose on sycamore and ash.

Symptoms of hosta anthracnose include large, irregular spots with darker borders. Eventually the centers of the spots fall out, and leaves become ragged. Usually this disease doesn't mean "hosta la vista baby," but it sure makes them look like they were in a gunfight.

Try to keep leaves as dry as possible by using soaker hoses or watering the soil rather than the plants. Improve air circulation as much as possible by dividing plants or selectively thinning trees. If anthracnose still seems to be a problem, it may be worth beginning a fungicide spray to protect the emerging leaves. Ideally fungicide application should begin in spring as new leaves emerge and as long as wet weather continues. Look for fungicides containing thiophanate methyl as the active ingredient. Always read and follow pesticide label directions. Check to see that the fungicide is labeled for hosta to control anthracnose or leaf diseases.

Hope this helps. With the extremely wet spring we have had this can be a tough disease to control.