Trimming cryptomeria

My large cryptomeria has grown over the fence, and my neighbor doesn’t like it dropping branches. He plans to trim it back to the fence line. I am guessing that this is probably not a good time to trim a tree, but I don’t have much choice. There is a smaller river birch with branches that have also grown beyond the fence line, but I don’t think that tree will be harmed if he cuts it back to the fence line. Do you think cryptomeria tree will be resilient to getting trimmed? Would there be a benefit in me hiring an arborist to trim it?

District of Columbia County District of Columbia

Cryptomerias can take pruning well, as long as you don't cut back to where there is no green growth. Conifers such as Cryptomerias have very few latent buds in old wood, so pruning back to old wood leaves no new buds to generate new foliage.

You could do the pruning now. If you do not feel like you can reach the taller branches safely, I recommend that you contact an arborist to do the work. They will also have training on where/how to make the best cuts to try to maintain a good appearance as best as possible. You can find a certified arborist near you by using the "find an arborist" search on the website of the International Society of Arboriculture. http://www.treesaregood.org/

Christa