Strange growth on a tree

I was wondering if anyone knew what was wrong with this tree. It has leaf buds growing on the top of each leaf. Some leaves are completely covered in them. I've attached an image of the issue. Thanks, Teresa Reasor

Knox County Kentucky

I have never seen anything like this but I’ll send picture to a specialist it may require sending a sample

It appears to be cherry leaf gall caused by Eriophyes cerasicrumena. Not a big concern just unsightly. They can Google and see pictures. Send them to this site bugguide.net/node/view/277497 This is from a specialist

Thanks so much for the response. I haven't seen any evidence of insects but at least I know this is harmless. But the maple tree next to it is showing minor signs of the same thing on just one limb. It sure is unsightly. I was concerned it might be contagious and affect other trees. I'll read more about it and see if there's anything I can do for it.
Teresa