Hi there, I have Columbine growing in my median and this spring, the flowers...

Hi there, I have Columbine growing in my median and this spring, the flowers are small, the leaves discolored (too light, too dark, or have some odd-ooking veins) and the plants seem misshapen. A few that have fallen over look like they may have had root rot. Would be very interested to know if it’s due to the rainy weather or if it’s fungal and I should pull them up. Thank you!!

Hennepin County Minnesota

I think it may be too wet. I notice mulch on the ground and the mulch may be keeping the soil too moist, columbine prefer dry, well drained soil. The mulch breaking down will use up nitrogen. They may have a viral disease that is causing the mottling. If they have a fungal disease the most common effect is the stalk turning black and mushy at the bottom. Mine often look like yours and they have been self seeding and coming back each year for decades. I would remove anything rotten and mushy.