Viburnum topiary tree

I have a 5 year old viburnum topiary style tree. It did not leaf out at all this spring except for one sprig at the top of the trunk. The base of the trunk at the soil level has a lot of growth. I am guessing that I need to replace it but don’t want to dig it out if it is salvageable. Any ideas? Thank you.

Hennepin County Minnesota viburnum

I am afraid you are correct. The fact that the plant is sending out shoots from the base says that roots are fine, but the rest of the plant obviously is not.

Viburnum are really hardy, but with our weird cold, wet spring and the 27 below this winter may have been too much for it.

Did the plant look healthy this fall? Viburnum are susceptible to fungal infections and if the plant were not healthy going into winter the cold may have been to much for it.

Having said that, I am a "wait and see" gardener with these situations. When our weather warms and dries out, maybe it will recover with a little TLC. Give it a little time.