Asked May 24, 2019, 2:39 PM EDT

Hello! My name is Jeff Buhrman ('09) and I am planning an agriculture business in the area. I would like to use a high tunnel and I am wondering if UD has resources/guides/best practices on how to optimize construction for the area (I have found a number of resources for other areas of the country). Thanks!


1 Response

Jeff, Hi. Thank you for your question. I would recommend visiting or talking to Carrie Murphy, cjmurphy@udel.edu our Horticulture Agent in New Castle County. She our beginning farmer coordinator and can discuss high tunnel construction or local sources. Our vegetable and fruit specialist, Gordon Johnson, gcjohn@udel.edu could also answer question regarding high tunnels. We have one here at the Carvel Research & Education Center. There are also programs that help purchase these structures at the FSA Farm Services Agency in Delaware - https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Delaware/index . I am not sure what county you reside in.

Farm Tek (I am not endorsing them, just using them as an example)– has a lot of styles to chooses from to get you started. A lot depends on the type of crops you are interested in growing as well as if you are doing a stand alone or using a movable in a field production setting.

Penn State has several resources for High Tunnels.



I hope this is helpful. Feel free to give our Extension offices a call if needed.

County Offices

Kent County Office
Office Address:
69 Transportation Circle,
Dover, Delaware
Phone: (302) 730-4000

New Castle County Office
461 Wyoming Road
Newark, DE 19716
Phone: (302) 831-2667
FAX: (302) 831-8934

Sussex County Office
Research and Education Center
16483 County Seat Highway
Georgetown, DE 19947
Phone: (302) 856-7303

Best regards,