Black walnut toxicity

I want to plant a maple tree within 40 feet of a black walnut tree. From what I read on multiple websites is that silver maple trees cannot be planted near black walnut trees but most other maples can. I bought a Legacy maple (Acer saccharum Legacy) and it never fully took and eventually died the second year. A second legacy maple that I planted approximately 100 feet away is thriving and doing very well. I avoided planting anywhere near the canopy of the black walnut with both trees but the closer one did die. I am wondering what specific maple trees will tolerate black walnut toxicity. The tree cost me $140 and I don’t want to make that mistake again. I would appreciate any information you could give me on this. Thank you.

Shiawassee County Michigan black walnut tree black walnut toxicity

Here is a list of tolerant maples with their scientific names- Sugar maple Acer saccharum, Black maple A. saccharum ssp. nigum, Red maple A. rubrum, and Japanese maples, such as A. palmatum ( some grow to 20-25 ft).

As you found, locate plants outside the root zone of the walnut to avoid the juglone, which is the substance that gradually kills intolerant plants. You are correct, Silver maple, Acer saccharinum is intolerant of juglone.

Thanks for using our service.