Selling cakepops at a local craft show.

Asked May 23, 2019, 3:33 PM EDT

If I were to sell cakepops at a local craft sale, would that require I follow the rules under the Michigan Cottage Food Law? (Meaning I would have to produce a large label of ingredients, weight, my kitchen address, etc. for each cakepop sold.)

Bay County Michigan cottage food law

4 Responses

This is info. taken from the MDARD's website:

For wedding cakes, birthday cakes, and other specialty cakes that are not easily packaged, you must include all labeling requirements on the invoice and deliver the invoice with the cake. Smaller cakes must be boxed and the label must be included on the box.,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html#Labeling

To more specifically answer your question - I do think that you would want to have a label printed for each variety that you can include with the sale. People may opt out of taking the labels, but you have to have the ingredients and other label info. available to provide to the customer.

Thank you Kara. My only concern was that for me to comply, and in a legible font size, the ingredients of the cake mix, frosting, fondant, and all decorations used, plus my name and address, would result in a label not much less than a full 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper. But I might as well then go all out and make the label look colorful and special too. Having labels printed for each variety and available to hand out rather than attach one sheet to each cakepop is a better idea too. Thank you for your response.

Just one more thought I wanted to be sure to pass on - you will need to have each cake pop individually wrapped. Thanks, and good luck.

Got it. Thanks Kara.