Weeping Alaskan cedar

My Alaskan weeping cedar has slowly delevoped a yellow/brown middle branches and I noticed what look like tiny bugs on the leaves. We have had them planted 10-11 years ago. The two on the front yard are watered by spray sprinklers and the one on the back yard we use a drip system. The two on the front yard are unhealthy and the one with drip system is doing great. Could water be the problem? I also noticed that the lower branches are developing roots. Should I cut them out?

Salt Lake County Utah

The inside of the crown of an evergreen tree gets brown as the green parts of the canopy grows up and out and shades the inner parts. Anything that is brown, crispy, and dead can be removed. To figure what is going on with the bugs and the branches sprouting roots I would need to see closeup photos.

Hi Michael if you zoom in on the photo you will see the bugs. I will take a picture of the roots.

The white dots are juniper scale. Scale insects crawl around for awhile after they hatch and then start forming a hard, waxy scale that they live under. The scale protects them from predators and the environment while they feed on sap from the leaves and stems. Do a web search for “juniper scale USU” for information, including control. Scales can stress trees and could be the cause of some of the foliage turning brown.