Please help me save my hydrangea

hello- I bought this beautiful hydrangea from Lowes on April 27th and planted in a partial-to-full sun spot in our house (a fair amount of sun mid-day). It replaces another giant bush that had died. It is next to a healthy Azalea and Hydrangea. It is now dying and I really want to save it. I sprayed Coppercide in case there was an issue. We did have an almost five day period of excessive rain and while that area drains well there still was an unbelievably large quantity of rain that fell. What can I do? I don't want it to die. Grateful for your help.

Baltimore Maryland

Given the timing of your purchase, we think that this is likely a florist-type (greenhouse grown and forced to bloom on time) hydrangea that was produced for sale around Easter. Did it have a tag naming the variety?
Not all are able to adapt and winter over in our climate, but some do just fine.

We are not sure that yours is dying as much as it is stressed (forced to bloom) and adjusting from the shock of transplantation and being outdoors.

Do not spray any more. Hydrangeas do get leaf spot diseases but they are seldom of concern and we do not recommend treatment.

Hydrangeas love water ("hydro = water", and if the area is well drained we would worry about that. Pull mulch (should only be about 2"deep) back from in contact with the stem and be sure that you didn't plant it deeper than it was in the pot.
In most cases hydrangeas prefer dappled shade as opposed to full sun. Watch this one closely if the rain ever ends and water it. In our area, plants in full sun in mid summer will wilt during the day but recover at night.

Christine

First, thank you so much for your reply. I can’t believe a service like this exists! The tag says it is a “Gardens Alive! 16oz Red Glowing Embers Hydrangea Flowering Shrub in Pot. Are you familiar with this variety? Otherwise I will pull the mulch, water it and hope for the best. It’s such a beautiful plant. Makes me sad to think of it distressed. Thx you!

This is a type of bigleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla). All of the advice provided in our previous answer still holds true for this type. They like partial shade and regular moisture. These typically bloom later in the summer. The one you have was likely forced in a nursery to bloom earlier. Now it needs to put its energy into root development and getting established. Keep it watered regularly during dry periods. You can prune out the spent flowers back to where you see a pair of healthy buds. You will find more information on this type of Hydrangea, and how to care for it, on the following website. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=249026&isprof...

Christa

Last question- many thx again.

This green thing just showed up next to it. Is it a new part of the hydrangea growing or a weed?

Last question- many thx again.

It looks like a new shoot from your Hydrangea plant, not a weed.

Christa