Our redbud is beginning to leaf out, but very few of the flower buds have opened
We planted this tree about three years ago. Purchased it via the Mpls lottery, Tree Trust collaboration. I'm a gardener, so have paid attention to watering and planted it according to U of M extension consultant recommendations. Do you have any ideas of a) what is causing this and b) if there are any remedies? Thank you, Donna McNamara
Hennepin County Minnesota
- Immaturity. It might take a few more years of growth before it puts on a full display.
- Lack of sunlight. Redbud are usually do best in full sun or at least only part shade.
- Too much fertilizer. Excess fertilizer can contribute to wonderful green growth at the expense of flowers.
- Blooms got pruned off. Redbud set blooms at the end of the summer for next year. Pruning is recommended right after the plant blooms.
- Cold weather. We had unusually cold weather last this spring and very cold winter. The majority of blooms may have frozen.