Pine Tree Killer

I have several pine trees that died suddenly (2 months from green to brown). There is evidence of a boring insect (holes are 3 - 5 mm). They only appear to attack a single species but are affecting trees that are widely separated. What should I do? I don't want this to spread further, especially beyond my property.

Deschutes County Oregon pine trees

Hello, that is a really tough one. Pine can die from several different things but we are most concerned recently about Ponderosa pine, drought from the past few years and especially last fall, and bark beetles.

Depending on the setting of the trees, there is not much one can do. Density management, weed control, and mulch are recommended to improve the water availability to trees. We are currently at the mercy of the weather. however

You may consider contacting the local Forestry and Natural Resources Deschutes County Forester; Nicole Strong. She can provide more context related information and perhaps suggest more specific management.
Office Phone

Good luck

Thanks David. I was cutting down a dead tree and found this (live) insect inside. I'm assuming this is what is responsible. Can you please tell me what it is? Thanks

Hi,

That is a long horned wood borer adult. Typically these come in after the tree dies, lay an egg on the surface and the grubs/larvae bore in the wood. I don't think this killed your tree as these follow on fresh dead to begin the decomposition process.

Just a cool insect!