Neem

I would like clarification on neem products for pest control. I always thought azadirachtin impacted insect feeding and disrupted their life cycle while clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil had the azadirachtin removed and worked by suffocation. I'm seeing product information - where the active ingredient is neem oil not azadirachtin - that claims it impacts insects feeding. Is this correct?

Montgomery County Maryland pesticides neem oil azadirachtin

According to our resource (Managing Insects and Mites on Woody Plants-IPM Approach)
Azadirachtin is an insect growth regulator also having antifeedant and repellent properties, derived from the seeds of the neem tree and is effective against immature stages of insects.
We are not sure about what is suggested by "clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil" and suggest you contact the National Pesticide Information Center and pose your question to them. See here, in the upper right hand corner: http://npic.orst.edu/

Christine