Magnolia Trees

There’s an old magnolia that grows big and wide in the cemetery where my father is buried in Pulaski County. I live here in Richmond and, having a new yard, want to plant a magnolia. What’s the best way to go about this? Is there a season better than another? How do I prep the ground? I look forward to someday having the large white blooms just outside my window.

Madison County Kentucky tree health madison county kentucky horticulture

Broad-leaved evergreens are best planted in the winter or early spring. Most magnolias like soil to be somewhat acidic, 5.5 to 6. Rich, moist, deep soils are best for most trees but in a landscape around a home, we never have these ideal conditions.

Most magnolias can tolerate some wetter sites, not all so read up on the specific species you want to plant.

Since most are evergreen, a site where it is protected from winter winds helps with dessication issues.

If planting an early-flowering type, avoid planting on southern exposures since buds tend to open earlier in this location.

Hope this helps.